Individuals who have not received a high school diploma or its equivalent have a low-cost opportunity to earn one. When you earn a diploma or GED ® credential, you have also earned the opportunity to find a stable job with a good income. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, a person with a high school diploma or GED ® credential will earn $7,658 more annually than a non-high school graduate.
While earning a GED ® credential cannot solve ALL of life's problems, it can be a step in the right direction. Many adult education students testify that obtaining a GED ® diploma has helped them qualify for advanced training, obtain a better job, and provide better support for their children's educational development. The GED ® credential can be an open door to a brighter future!
Radio Announcement Download (MP3)
GED graduates may be eligible to receive a $500 HOPE GED Voucher to use toward postsecondary education in Georgia. Contact the Georgia Student Finance Commission for more information and to see if you would qualify.
If you are interested in earning a GED ® diploma, you:
- - must be at least 16 years of age.
- - cannot be currently enrolled in a high school/home school program.
- - cannot have graduated from an accredited high school.
- - cannot have received a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Online programs are offered at no charge to students who plan to exclusively study for the GED ® Exam online. While most study can be accomplished wherever the student has access to a computer with internet capabilities, students are required to spend a few hours in the classroom where they register for the online program.
- - attend an orientation session, register for the class and take an assessment test so the teacher will know what assignments are appropriate for the student.
- - log into the program for a minimum of ten (10) hours a week to remain eligible for online study.
- - return to class after each 40 hours of online time to be assessed so the teacher can determine when they are ready to take the GED ® Exam.
If the student has not met the minimum required hours of study, the teacher will send an email. If the student does not respond within a week, s/he loses online privileges until s/he contacts the teacher and applies to resume online study. If the student is dismissed during a quarter because of failing to log in for the required amount of time, s/he will be required to retake the entrance test before enrolling in any adult education class.
For more information about online classes, call Christy Gosnell at 706.754.7717 or email her at
The GED ® test consists of four (4) separate tests in the following subject areas: Reasoning through Language Arts, Mathematical Reasoning, Science, and Social Studies. Successfully passing these four tests demonstrates that the individual has acquired a level of learning that is comparable to that of traditional high school graduates. The GED ® Testing Program in Georgia is jointly administered by the GED ® Testing Service (GEDTS) and of the American Council on Education by the Technical College System of Georgia's Office of Adult Education GED ® Testing Service. The GED ® Tests are developed by GEDTS, and the same tests are given in all 50 states.
North Georgia Technical College is a designated official test center for administering the GED ® test. Examinees who make satisfactory scores on the test will earn a GED ® Diploma from the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG).
North Georgia Technical College GED® Testing Centers recently converted to the Pearson Vue Computer-Based GED testing format as part of a state-wide implementation of this system.
The total cost for all four sections of the GED test is $160 or $40 per section.
- • Test candidates register, schedule, and pay for test with a credit card by going to www. gedcomputer.com or by calling 1-877-EXAM GED (392-6433) (open 7 a.m., - 7 p.m. CST)
- • You will need an active email address to register
For more information about taking the GED® test, please contact 706-754-7813, 706-754-7748 or your local learning center.